Book – Rabbit Cake
Author – Annie Hartnett
Genre – Young Adult – Contemporary
Date Published- March 7th 2017
Publisher- Tin House Books
A story about coping up with a loss of someone. That’s what i need.
My cousin lost his dad and he is just about the age the protagonist in this book. I could connect to this book on so many different levels.
Elvis lost her mother when she was ten and this is a heartbreaking story about dealing with grief over the loss of someone you love. Everybody deals with grief differently, and this story depicts it perfectly. I couldn’t help but hug this book.
Things I liked:
- Elvis. She is smart and cute and i love her. I liked the little animal facts she used to find out and i like how she was so worried about her dad and her elder sister all the time.
- The Grieving process was bought together perfectly. How they were so dependent on their mothet, and how everyone deals with greif differently.
Things I didn’t like:
- I kind of got a little uncomfortable when the mother’s character was being portrayed in a bad way.
- I thought Ernest’s and Miss Ida’s characteristics were a little too super natural at times and absolutely unnecessary.
- The mess about lizzie is sometimes annoying but maybe necessary for the story.