Book – Mer
Author – Joelle Sellner
Illustrator- Abby Boeh.
Genre – Graphic Novel (Fantasy)
Expected publication- April 19th 2017
Publisher- Diamond Book Distributors
*I got this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
A story about Mermaids? Yes Please.
I absolutely love reading about merfolks, other magical sea creatures and myths.
Aryn and her family has moved to a new town for a fresh start. She lost her mother recently, and is trying to make new friends. A hot guy of the school, starts to like her instantly, who apparently isn’t human. There are also some dark forces who might be dangerous to her.
Things I liked:
- The artwork and illustrations were phenomenal, I really liked how the coloring is mainly blue, keeping the theme together. I also liked how there are character illustrations at the end of the book, along with some mer-myths, which made it really interesting for a nerd like me.
- I liked the character development, especially Aryn’s and Adrian’s. The first few pages of the book, already made me empathize with Aryn, and i found it harder to put the book down.
- I like how the book has a potential book merchandize too, and i totally want to get my hands on it. ( and pretend i am a mermaid too :p)
- The story was a bit too predictable until the end which blew me away, and i totally liked the whole idea of Atlantis .
Things I didn’t like:
- Like i said, the story was a little too predictable at the beginning, but it did manage to take me by surprise. Also, i kind of wanted a little more on Aryn and Adrian’s love story which was too instant. ( The Author could potentially add a few more pages)
- Personally If i got to know someone was a mermaid or not a normal human being i would not just accept it, like i would have a little freakout session at least, which i guess lacked in the story.